In Ivory Coast between 8% and 12% of the population is HIV positive. 1 million people are living with HIV. 600,000 children have lost one or both parents to HIV/AIDS. 14% of pregnant women have HIV. 45% of tuberculosis patients are HIV positive. At least one teacher dies of AIDS each school day.
AIDS is the primary cause of death of men, and the secondary cause of death of women. Ivory Coast in West Africa is the worst hit by AIDS.
World ORT proposes to provide a Mobile Education Unit offering free and anonymous HIV counseling, detection and awareness.
- Increase HIV/AIDS awareness;
- Assistance to families and children affected by HIV;
- Strengthen capacity of health centers to improve the delivery of their services (screening tests, prevention, care of HIV patients);
- Encourage participation of the local authorities;
- Improved access and quality of health center services for people affected by HIV/AIDS in communities;
- Increased awareness of HIV /AIDS among population;
- Implementation of educational programs;
- Promotion of HIV blood tests;
- Mobilization of communities to better respond to the prevention of HIV/AIDS;
This project could be extended to other countries such as Rwanda, Burundi, Burkina Faso and others where the political Institutions strongly promote prevention against HIV-AIDS.
» more Foreseen Projects